Friday, October 7, 2011

New Chemo is Kicking In

Today, it appears that Matthew's new Chemo is really kicking in. He slept long again this morning. Thankfully, I was able to get him to eat three scrambled eggs this morning, but he didn't touch the toast, which is usually his favorite part. Yesterday, he didn't eat anything except some corn chips until dinner time. Then he ate about half a package of Ramen Noodles. I'm worried about his non-existent appetite. Kids who won't eat get feeding tubes. I'd hate for that to happen to him!

He's looking pretty pale today, too. We noticed last night that his eyes are pretty sunken in. He looks sick. For the first time in at least a month. That's always disheartening to see. But his spirits are up, and that's a good thing. He still wants to play some, and gets enthusiastic about certain things.

He's been asking for baths several times a day. I'm thinking it soothes him. That's definitely better than during induction when we had to bathe him screaming and kicking. I think the sensation of the water on his skin then was too much for his hyped up body to deal with.

We got some great news this morning! We are members of a group called Hope Kids. It's one of the charities that I mentioned in an earlier blog entry. Hope Kids does all sorts of fun stuff for families, with the idea that a child who has hope, and is looking forward to things, will fight harder. Beyond that, though, it takes a lot of pressure off of families. When you have the weight of caring for a child with cancer on you, it's hard to justify money for fun outings, and family time. Hope Kids provides family activities for the entire family. If your cancer cutie is too sick to go, the other siblings are still invited. It allows them to get to know people like them. The siblings, too. They need support, and their friends will never understand them like these kids need. So, Hope Kids is a great thing in a lot of different aspects.

Anyway, we haven't gotten to the point yet where we were ready to go to an event. We have a hard time, too, because I'm working Friday nights and Saturday mornings, which is when most of the events are. But in two weeks, they are doing a huge camp out at Bear Lake, in the KOA there. Last year when we went to Oregon, we fell in love with the Warrenton KOA! We swore we'd be KOA people for life. Then, this year, we had to sell our trailer to reduce our monthly bills. It was a sad moment, and we hadn't even gotten the chance to camp in it this summer because I got sick just before Matthew did. But Hope Kids got us a Kabin (yes, I know - it has a K. KOAs use K for everything.) and a Kottage. Each sleeps four, but since we have 6, we will be able to use both.

Our family needs this getaway more than I can describe. When I opened the email this morning, I cried.

Also, I learned this week that the couple who runs the Salt Lake chapter of Hope Kids moved here from Arizona - away from all their family and friends - to do it. I have so much respect for them. What an amazing service they do!

One more subject: Pictures! I know I keep promising them. Hopefully my next entry will consist of just that. Lots of pictures.

Soon. I swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment