Monday, December 5, 2011

Hair Loss - Take Two

I play with Matthew's hair a lot. He doesn't even seem to notice it, I do it so much. I think I did it a lot before he had cancer, but now, it's probably on the verge of total weirdness. Since he started this current phase of treatment, I've gone back to pinching it to see if I can pull any out. The last time he lost his hair, that was my first indication. Over the course of the next week, he lost almost all of his hair.

This morning, I got a pinch-full of hair. Then another. He's definitely losing his hair again, which I expected. Within a week or so, he should be totally bald - much more than the last time. He'll lose all of his hair, but he's also likely to lose his eyebrows, eyelashes, and all of his body hair.

A good friend of mine, who is a photographer, offered a few months ago to do our family picture, but we couldn't fit it into our schedule. A few weeks ago, I asked her if she would let me take her up on the offer now that he's going to lose his hair. I've been told that even though it doesn't seem like it now, I'm going to want to remember what he looked like bald. Lots of other cancer moms have told me I should get professional pictures of it, if at all possible. The time he'll be bald will come and go quickly, and someday, when I'm ready, I'll want to remember. They're right. I know they are. It's the same reason I want to print out the blog when we're done.

So, be prepared. Next time any of you see him, he will probably have a soft, shiny head.

No comments:

Post a Comment