Thursday, March 22, 2012

Making Up For Lost Time

Well, it only took me 9 days to forget a pill. In a classic facepalm move this morning, I realized, while driving home from dropping Mikey off for his carpool, that I didn't give Matthew his pill last night.

Really?

Maintenance started less than 2 weeks ago. He hasn't even tried out all his new medications, yet.

But, on the bright side, in 8+ months, it's the first pill I've forgotten. This particular pill, 6MP, has to be taken on an empty stomach. No food before for 2 hours, or after for 1. That doesn't really happen much with Matthew, except at bedtime. But sometimes, he has something to eat at bedtime. So, then I wake him up a few hours later to take it, which is really fun. Really.

Well last night was one of those nights when he wanted something to eat at bedtime. Any time he asks me for food, I give it to him, because he's eating so few calories right now. So, I gave him a corn dog at bedtime, and then I put him to bed, planning to wake him up in 2+ hours to give him his pill.

Except then I fell asleep.

So, after totally beating myself up over it this morning, I told my dear husband, who barely batted an eye. He is so good to me, especially when I'm being hard on myself. So then I called the clinic and they said not to worry about it either. They said don't double up on it, just skip it for the day, and give him his regular pill tonight.

Okay, I guess it's not the end of the world. He will get roughly 950 more of them in the next two years and 5 months.

In other news, Matthew is feeling really good - I can tell. He had his preschool lesson from sweet Miss Caroline last night, and he flew through what she had planned. He told her, "W-H-Y spells why, like Superwhy." She was blown away. She didn't realize he was starting to spell small words, because they haven't had the chance to sit down and go over actual school stuff in a month or two. When he isn't feeling well, they mostly play with Silly Putty and then play Memory. But last night, she said she needs to up his lessons a bit.

That wouldn't have gone so well if he wasn't feeling well, or if he was on steroids. Because when those two things are going on, he won't pay attention. I'm so grateful that she's so patient with him!

One thing that happens, though, when Matthew is feeling well is that he gets cabin fever. Combine that with Spring fever, and he cannot stand to stay in this house for one more day. He desperately wants to get out and play and get back to living his life.

At his last two clinic visits, I've asked his doctor if we could start looking at preschool or daycare again, and she has said we need to wait. We need to give it a couple of months to see how he settles into Maintenance. I wouldn't have a hard time being patient, except that since he's feeling well, he is having a REALLY hard time being patient. He runs me ragged trying to keep up with him.

I don't blame him, though. He has missed 8 months of his life. In 4 year old terms, that's a LOT of time! My soul rejoices when I see him acting like a normal 4 year old again. I feel like I'm really starting to get my little boy back. So, for the next few months, my primary focus in life will be helping him make up for lost time.

I don't think I've ever been more grateful for anything in my life than the fact that I get to help him make up for lost time right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment