Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hair Loss

Well, it seems we are getting into the full swing of hair loss.

I don't really know what I expected. Maybe for it to fall out all at once, or in big chunks. That is not what's happening at all, though. It's actually quite a slow process.

When we were in the hospital the first time, right after Matthew was diagnosed, I noticed spots in his hair that were thinning, and I noticed a few eyelashes on his face. The doctors said that it varies with each kid, but he would probably lose his hair during induction - that's the first 28 days.

When we got home, and I joined my Facebook support group, I asked the moms, and they all said two or three weeks - there were a couple that had different experiences, though. One whose child started losing hair on the last day of induction, and one whose child lost hair 8 months into treatment, during a particularly difficult phase. Everyone seemed able to mark the day, though.

That's where Matthew's experience has been different. He started losing little bits of hair and eyelashes within the first few days of chemo. But right now, he's on day 38 of his treatment, and it's still a very slow and steady process.

This last week, which it just so happens has been his first week without any chemo - a break between phases of treatment - I've noticed far more hair loss than ever before. When I kiss him on the head, I get little hairs in my mouth. In the bathtub, you can see them floating around. You can pinch a finger full of hair and pull, and you get quite a few of them out. Even rubbing your hand over his head will get some hair out.

We'd buzz his head, but it's already done. Justin buzzed it less than a week before Matthew was diagnosed.

One thing is for certain, though. This is not something that just happens overnight. It's not like one day your child has hair, and the next day he doesn't. At least for Matthew, it's a slow moving process. Literally one hair at a time. His hair is very thin now, and you can tell he's losing it, but based on his track record, it may be a long time before it's all gone.

I'll post some pictures later.

2 comments:

  1. Skyler's came out very slow too. I cried one night as I sat picking his hair out while he slept, it makes it more real when they lose their hair. I actually loved that bald head though and miss it so much now that his hair is growing back in. When it does all fall out, cherish it, a bald head to me means strength and courage. Your little guy is such a brave boy tell him hi from me and Skyler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Crystal! It's good to think of it as a badge of honor.

    His sister (my 16 year old daughter) was so sweet with him tonight. She likes to buy him hats, and she has seen all these pictures of everyone's bald little cuties, and she's actually looking forward to seeing him bald. She helped him make a game of it when he didn't want anyone to touch it. She got out the blue painter's tape and made herself a tape hat, then made him one to match. The tape pulled out a lot of hair. It was sweet that she made it fun for him. Now he's not so upset about it.

    Also, I have a good friend who's a fantastic photographer, and I'm thinking of having her do a photoshoot with him once it's all gone.

    ReplyDelete