Friday, September 2, 2011

Allison's Doctor Visit

This year, Allison is going to a really cool charter school. Their "theme," if you will, is adventure learning. They go on all these expeditions to help with the subjects they are learning. In order to take them on these adventures, the school needs to be sure the kids are physically able to endure them (hikes, and swimming and whatnot). So, I had to take Allison to see the doctor so she could be declared physically fit.

Matthew was so confused that we were going to a doctor, and it wasn't for him. When we arrived at the doctor's office, I put a mask on him just in case there was someone in the waiting room that was sick. It was too big, so I had to tie a knot by both ears. The nurses all went crazy for him. Since it's the office of our primary care doctor, they've all been hearing for a couple of months now what's going on, but no one's actually seen him yet. He handles all the attention well.

The other thing I was impressed with, though, was how well Mikey and Allison handle it when Matthew gets all that attention.

Of course people want to ask about him. It's only natural - he's going through something that you don't see every day. Bald kids attract a lot of attention, and so far everyone we've met has been really sympathetic, so it's never bad attention. Allison and Mikey seemed to understand that, which impressed me. It's got to be hard for them that he is always the center of attention!

We were there for Allison, but talked more about Matthew. She didn't seem to mind. Then, Matthew blew us all away. When the doctor started checking in her ears, her throat, her eyes, then listened to her breathing, and her heart, Matthew took her hand and said, "It's your job to hold still, but if you're scared you can squeeze my hand as hard as you want."

He had so much empathy for her. He wanted to be sure she wasn't scared, and he did what he thought would help based on his own experiences. The depth of his soul never ceases to amaze me.

I'm so impressed with all of my kids, and the way they're handling this. They're such beautiful people, and I'm proud to be able to call myself their Mother. I am so thankful that God chose me for the job.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. At first, I wondered why kids need their own month - adults suffer from cancer, too. It doesn't discriminate. But from what I understand, kids need their own attention because they have been given "hand me down" medicines for decades. The treatment they get is based off of plans that were created for adults, and then sized down, so to speak. A lot of the medicines have had no new funding for decades. Drug companies don't make generics because there isn't a viable profit margin. (See this article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/07/doctors-warn-cancer-drug-shortage_n_872810.html)

We're lucky that our Matthew has a very treatable form of cancer, with lots of research behind it, and studies based on children his age. Leukemia is more common in children than in adults, so kids get their own treatments.

There are so many children out there, though, who have been diagnosed with forms of cancer that are not so common in children, and the only choice is to use adult treatments, and adjust them for the child. The problem with this is typically the side effects. Many children who are treated for cancer are cured, but it comes with a price. Some side effects of cancer treatment can be vision problems - sometimes even blindness, hearing loss, bone problems that can confine the child to a wheelchair, growth problems, chronic pain, and (this is the worst thing I can think of!) other forms of cancer. That's right. Cancer treatment can put you at risk for new and different kinds of cancer.

Many, many children who are treated for cancer spend the rest of their lives living with permanent side effects. My sister's step-granddaughter is one of them. She suffers from at least three of the things I listed above, but she refuses to be labelled as "handicapped." She is a fighter, and full of life. She's spunky, loving, and smart, and she thrives in life in spite of the burden she carries.

I shared a video on Facebook today that I also want to share on my blog. It's a video advertising for a walk they did in July to benefit CureSearch. Although the walk is done and over with, you can still donate to the cause at www.CureSearch.org. The reason I feel impressed to share this video is that it is an insightful look into the cancer world at Primary Children's Medical Center, and I want to share it with those of you who want to see it. There are a number of children in this video whose mothers are part of my support group, and have become good friends of mine.

Here's the video.




In the beginning, it mentions that 3-4 families per week have a child diagnosed with cancer at Primary Children's alone. In Utah, 1 out of every 4 children diagnosed with cancer will die from it. That's a Primary's patient a week. Those numbers are staggering to me. I know that a 75% cure rate seems really great, but when you think about the 25% that don't make it, it's heartbreaking.

I will passionately contribute to this cause for the rest of my life. I hope to give you a glimpse of why it has changed me so much. Fundamentally, I am the same person, but I will be forever affected by this. I think my entire family feels the same way.

I am so thankful for my children. All four of them. I am proud to be the mother of such amazing, smart, and beautiful individuals! I hope they all have long, and happy lives. We've always been blessed with healthy children, and I hope that when this ordeal is over, we can continue to say that for many years to come.

1 comment: