Thursday, September 8, 2011

Good Counts

Matthew is doing great! I just wanted to post a quick update to say that he is holding up really well. He did not catch my stomach bug, so apparently our germ patrol worked.

At the clinic this week, they told me his ANC is 2200! I didn't expect for him to have counts that high during his treatment at all, so I'm pretty thrilled. For the next two weeks, he only has to take a chemo pill every day, and his pneumonia antibiotic on Monday and Tuesday. No other meds. No doctor's appointments, either, because they don't have to do the spinal tap. He won't go back to the clinic until the 20th, and that will be to start his next round of treatment. For some reason, this round seems to be moving at lightning speed. I think maybe it's because we've gotten back into some routines, and also because he feels good.

We went to a birthday party this week. He had a really good time. We went swimming (which was really hard for me to let him do!) and then we went in for cake and ice cream. There were 20 or 30 other kids there that were under the age of 5, and there were so many people who were curious about Matthew. I had a really hard time keeping track of him in the crowd, and eventually I started to feel panicked. I can't stand for so many little faces to be right next to his. Even with counts this high, where he can fight off any bug just as well as the next kid. I finally decided we should leave. I felt bad, but then another mom told me that she will take her little cancer cutie to parties like that, even if she knows there an adult there who's got a cold or something, because adults know how to keep their germs to themselves. But kids don't understand that they can't cough in his face - and they probably will. She raised a good point, and I decided I had done the right thing. We will continue to go to sacrament meeting as a family as long as his counts are this high, but I don't think we will send him to Primary.

My sister-in-law is planning a fundraiser for us. It still amazes me how giving people are. The fundraiser will be a car show, with a $3 hot dog lunch, a silent auction, a boutique, face painting, etc... I guess word has spread among the car clubs, because it's starting to look like there will be a LOT of cars there. They want to help. Usually at a car show, they pay an entrance fee of $10 or so. My brother-in-law said there will be no entrance fee, but they are asking for donations instead. And lots of these guys want to come and bring their cars. I think it's really neat. People's generosity never fails to amaze me.

If you'd like more info about the fundraiser, please feel free to contact me, or leave a reply to this blog post.

In honor of Childhood Cancer Awareness month, today I'd like to leave a link to the website of a charity that I love. The Make A Wish Foundation grants wishes for children with life threatening illnesses. Since Matthew's diagnosis, I've seen them send some very special families on once in a lifetime vacations, and they always have cool stories to tell about the kids they've helped. They really give children hope, and something special to look forward to in a time when they are in exceptional need of things that will make them smile.

Please take a look. If you're looking for a charity to donate to this year, please consider this one!

http://www.wish.org/

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am Dominik Haslam's mom. He misses his "best friend Matthew Burr" at daycare. I am really happy to see that he is doing well. I would love to go to the fundraiser. Could you email me the information? xdollxface@aol.com. Please tell him that Dominik says HI!

    Thank you,

    Alisha Haslam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisha, I'm sorry this has taken me so long! We went to the hospital right after we left the daycare the day I saw you, and we just got home yesterday! I hope the daycare gave you a flyer, but just in case, I'll email one. Thanks for reaching out to me! Matthew misses Dominik a LOT too! He talks about him constantly. It will be so fun to see you two there!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete